Saturday, June 26, 2010

A Little Scare

This afternoon, the babies took an afternoon nap. As usual, Ethan bangs on the closed door to let us know they want out. I went to open the door but couldn't open it all the way. Ammon had fallen asleep and was blocking the door. I peeked inside and of course their room was a mess with toys, blankets, and clothes all over the place. But what was VERY disturbing was that the 5 drawer dresser in their room was tipped over, their fan was dangling and broken glass from their picture frame was on the carpet! I grabbed Ethan and made sure he was ok. I looked at Ammon still sleeping and he had dried blood on the side of his face, his hands had blood. His bed and blankets had blood. I hurried and got Brad and he took care of little Ammon's hand that had cuts. To be sure to clean up all the tiny pieces of glass, I got the vacuum, picked up all their clothes that were all over the floor (4 out of 5 drawers worth of clothes), took the blood stained blankets and washed them all. I felt like I had to vacuum their beds and little crevices between their car beds just to make sure.
We were thinking of how we could set up their room differently, or even taking out the dresser completely out of their room. But then, where would we put their music player and small fan that usually sits on the dresser? We just decided to bolt the dresser to the wall to keep this from ever happening again. Now it's snug and can handle a little beating from 2 toddlers in that room.
It could have been so much worse. But I am thankful that the bottom drawers were drawn out and that's what was holding up the whole dresser from completely falling over onto Ammon's bed or worse, pinning them underneath it. I'm so grateful that Ammon's cuts were minimal and that it could have been worse. It could have been both boys playing with the glass, or stepping in

it. I know that they were being watched over and so grateful I checked on them when I did.(imagine the dresser tipped over 45 degrees with all the drawers open. On the right is where the babies toddler beds are.)
This is the typical mess they make after a nap.

1 comments:

Staci said...

my we are having the same experiences. just two days ago i came in and a picture frame was torn off the wall (above a small dresser they have), broken, but repairable, and they must have climbed up onto the dresser and then pulled the picture off, then the butterfly hanging from the ceiling. well, i should say, yours was worse than ours with the broken glass and blood and all. poor little babies. they sure go crazy in there!
we considered taking EVERYTHING out, but i don't know where we would put everything. well we now have dressers in there but there's nothing in them yet. lol