Sunday, September 14, 2008

Wheelchair Day

Yesterday was quite the busy day!! 7:30am, the girls and I prepared for a neighborhood yard sale. They were very helpful and were excited to be able to play outside for so long. Our Elder's Quorum President was helping a neighbor move, and came by to chat with us for a bit. Since he and his wife just had twins 2 months ago, we were hearing stories of her pregnancy. One of the things he mentioned was that he forced his wife to use a motorized wheelchair if she ever wanted to go shopping. That got Brad's mind churning with the idea that I will be doing that from now on.
After we wrapped up, we headed down to Orem to Babies R Us and bought our first items for the twins. Matching car seats. We bought it and I later woke up this morning, having second thoughts. But after much thought, I've reconciled with it....for now.




There was a wheelchair at the store (with one of those nice silver baskets,) so Morgan and Megan pushed me around it in. Feeling like, all eyes were on me, I was stressing out. There were some instances, were Morgan almost ran me into a display. Or I felt like were were skimming past another shopper's toe. When it was Brad's turn, my blood pressure went down a little bit. Later on, I went with Brad and Braden to Costco. There was another wheelchair waiting by the other shopping carts. Luckily this one didn't have that annoying basket attached. We got what we needed and left. just kidding, this wasn't it


Then we skipped on over to Wal-mart. I was "lucky" enough to use a sub-par wheelchair that was literally falling apart. There were a lot of people for that time on a Saturday and it must have been because people were coming back from the BYU game. Then a quick stop at Walgreens to pick up a few items. No wheelchair necessary.



Our last stop was at Smith's. As soon as you walk in you see the rows of shopping carts. Plugged in next to the wall was the motorized shopping cart!! Boo!! I gave Brad a look, feeling so ridiculous getting into that cart. Again I felt like all eyes were on me, with other pregnant women glaring at me. I'm thinking, they're thinking, "I'm pregnant too! Why is she in there?!?" Braden kept himself entertained by getting on it and getting wheeled around. The worst part about it was when I needed to back up. Oh the horrible beeping sound that would blare out of that motorized machine!! As it's beeping, it's also saying, "Hey look at me!! I'm backing this wide load up!" I wanted to get out of the store so fast.
So by the end of the day, I give my reviews for the best wheelchair and that would be Costco!! Roomy and still in good shape! I don't think you will be seeing me at stores where they have motorized carts anytime soon!

7 comments:

Natalie said...

Hey, I might just have to try that out!

Kat said...

You are too self-conscious! How funny though. At least you can get out now!

Staci said...

Hey girl- you do what you gotta do. I did it- Target and Walmart baby. I was too tired to walk around- about 34 weeks with twins. Forget it. It IS hilarious though when you back up and it beeps really loud. LOL WATCH OUT! I'm comin for ya! lol

I saw my OBGYN when I was in one at Target and he said, "good- I'm glad to see you in that" lol

"Wide load- coming through!"

Brooke said...

I'm glad to hear that Costco's wheelchairs are up to par. I'm sad I missed you! I was there from like 10-6:30 you must have been by when I was on a break.

Amz said...

You gave me quite the giggle with this post, especially with the part about the beeping while you were backing up! I can see it all now! You are such a good sport! Now for an explanation card that all could read when they passed you....Hmmmm.

Jamie said...

haha - so funny. Brad is a good husband to take such good care of you.

Jessy and Kurt Antonino!!!! said...

Hi Char,

How are you doing, I have not heard from your since this last post. How the twins are doing? and you?

Take care,
Jessy