I know many of you are not fans of needles. Well, at 28 weeks I needed to take a glucose test to see if I had gestational diabetes. It's just routine lab work done by 28 weeks. I drank my fruit juice concoction and got poked. No big deal. The following Monday I got a call from the doctor's nurse. If they call, you know something's wrong. The nurse said my glucose level was high, 153 and they did not want it any higher than 139. So I have to take the 3 hour glucose test!! Not only do you have to fast 12 hours the night before, you have to get your blood drawn 4 times in 3 hours. Tuesday night I had another one of those dizzy spells and had a metal bowl by my side until the following morning. Who knew if I could keep anything down this time. The only thing that I had for my "last meal" was a hard boiled egg. That was at 6:30pm.
i just kept thinking, "I do NOT want to go back the hospital again for this." After debating on whether or not to take a Lortab, prescribed by my OB doctor for headaches and this same symptom of dizziness, I surrendered and took it. After a while, I still wasn't feeling any different, so I asked Brad for a blessing. That made all the difference in the world. Waking up every few hours I gauged how I was feeling, still dizzy, but eventually by morning the nausea, dizziness was gone. It didn't take a second for my eyes to focus on something like it had been all week. I was back to "normal!" (As normal as I can get in my situation.) So still fasting, Braden and I made our way back to the doctor's office where the lab was. I was nervous about how Braden would be for the 3 1/2 hours we had to camp there. Good thing I brought books, fruit snacks for every hour and his collection of Batman toys. 9:23am, I get my first poke. My fasting level was 78. Then I have to drink the now 2x concentrated fruit juice flavored concoction and wait an hour. We went into the playroom and waited. I was not feeling so good. It was to be expected.So much sugar in a little 10 oz. bottle is understandable. It was almost too much too handle.The lab told me if I had to throw up, the test would have to be cancelled. I was determined to keep this drink down. 10:23 I'm back in the gray chair, getting my 2nd vial of blood drawn. That turned out to be 194. I failed that round since the high normal is 180. Braden automatically knew when mom was in the chair, he could get a snack from the goody bag. We waited in the waiting room, for a change of scenery the next hour. 11:23 I'm back in the chair for my 3rd blood draw. At this point my glucose level is supposed to drop closer to my fasting level. It only dropped to 167. After the 4th and final vial of blood was drawn, it only dropped 1 stinkin' point of 166. I failed the 3 hour test miserably! After 2 days of waiting for my results, the nurse called and said I needed to see a dietician fpr Gestational Diabetes.
So instead of the tempting idea of going to St. George for Brad's marathon, I have an appointment with the Diabetes clinic on Friday. This will keep me in town (can you imagine me going into labor all the way down there?) and get myself on a healthy diet. Brad keeps saying, "At first we were worried that the babies would be too small, now we have to be careful they're not too big." One of the worries of delivering too early with gestational diabetes is that the babies would grow too big, but underdeveloped.
Until then, I have to have small meals that would fit on a saucer! and have 3 snacks a day. Do you realize how hard that is? The day before the nurse called, I made brownies and devoured lots of those. I bought Ho-Ho's, ice cream, and even made hot fudge. Oh the temptation!! I have to keep telling myself it's only for 7 more weeks.
I've opened the fridge all week to grab something, and Brad or one of the girls say, "You can't have that." I slowly put it back in the fridge, depressed and frustrated. But after a few moments I realize they are trying to keep me on track. Thanks for keeping me in line. I love you guys! Remember Brad, after the babies come, I want sushi, a hot fudge sundae, and a big glass of apple juice!
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Sugar is my Kryptonite
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
wow chard! you are quite the trooper! as if what you were already going through with the twins wasn't enough, now you get to watch what you eat! Hang in there, the countdown is on!
You are almost there girl! Let me know if you need anything this weekend while your fam is out of town!
Oh, Man Chardie! You are so strong! You can do this! Like Natalie said, the countdown is on, the clock it tickin' away. You'll be there in no time and then you'll want them back inside!
I don't know how you are doing it! Just the thought of having to watch what I eat makes me binge. I have gained 6 lbs in the last two months. yikes. Doesn't seem like much, but the pants sure notice. ;o)
Post a Comment