Today I had my weekly ultrasound and non-stress test. I had mentioned how I hadn't really felt a lot of movement from Ethan (baby b). During the NST, they he was pretty active and actually had to chase him around to find his heartbeat since he was so wiggly. But they did notice that Ammon's heart rate would dip every once in a while. Not only that, I was getting some frequent contractions. The doctor also wanted to see if I was dialating at all and it turns out I was at 3 cm and about 40% effaced. So after talking with them, they suggested I stay overnight at the hospital for monitoring and also get steroid shots for quick development of the babies lungs just in case. So they walked me to Labor & Delivery down the hall and I was greeted with a spacious corner room with windows all along 2 sides of the wall. It overlooked the parking lot and made my visit a little more acceptable. I received my first dose of the steroid in my hip and that was surely not welcomed. I also received a shot to slow down my contractions. The side effect was that it made your heart race. The most annoying part of the stay was being hooked up to the monitors the entire time. I had 3 straps around my belly the whole time and I'd have cords come with me to every bathroom visit.
Things were pretty low key. I got the 2nd dosage of the steroid Wednesday night and was eagerly waiting for the doctor to check on me so I could be released. But after talking to the him on Wednesday, he wanted to keep me yet another night to make sure we get the maximum effect of the steroids (48 hrs.) and didn't feel comfortable with letting me go home and chancing preterm labor.
My hopes went down the drain and I had to stay in the hospital yet another night. I hardly had any more contractions and the babies looked great on the monitor, so I was finally released Thursday night. My orders at home were to do what I have been doing at the hospital. Staying in bed and only getting up to go to the bathroom. Some think it wouldn't be so bad. But it got old the first day.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Hospital Visit
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh Char, I bet it really sucks BUT get all the rest you can- I cannot imgaine 2 babies! 1 is enough for me :) I can't wait to see those bundles of joy but tell them Britny says to stay in there a little longer! If you need anything let me know! :)
This doesn't sound like the funnest ordeal, but at least you can look back on this little "adventure" in future years with fondness --- hopefully! I hope everything is still going well.
You are in our thoughts and prayers, Chardie! It's good for them they are staying in longer, but harder for you I'm sure. Soon they'll be here and you'll want them back in! Just a little longer...Hang in there!
Post a Comment