Family and Friends,
We wish we'd be able to contact each one of you and talk with you. But things have been non-stop since Wednesday as we feel like we are trying to beat the clock with this disease. I just had 2 ultrasounds yesterday with a lot more pictures of the boys. As we were able to get a more advanced look, both babies remain healthy at this point. With the confirmation of the Twin-Twin Transfusion Syndrome, Baby A has a pocket of fluid measuring 8 cm. Baby B has a deepest pocket of only 1.9 cm. The normal amount is between 2-8cm.
The dr. described Baby B's situation like being surrounded in plastic wrap. Since there is not a lot of fluid, he doesn't have a lot of room to move around in or sufficient nutrients. Baby A has a generous amount of fluid. Too much fluid can put a strain on his heart as the recipient twin. One endearing thing pointed out though was that Baby A has so much room on my left side of my belly to roam around in. But he remains side by side, snuggled, next to his brother on my right.
After help from my sister (THANK YOU!!!) in researching medical care, we were able to find Texas Children's Hospital, ranked #4 in the nation. They specialize in a laser procedure that would cauterize the abnormal blood vessels between the babies. Here is a link if you are interested in reading more. Texas Children's Hospital.
After contacting the nurse coordinator there, she was able to explain in more detail what TTTS is, translate our initial (general) ultrasound results, and help with travels to Houston. She said we could see the surgeons this Monday!! It doesn't hurt she's the wife of one of the surgeons that perform this surgery either. :-)
On Thurs, before even seeing the specialist locally, we took a leap of faith and bought airfaire and a rental car for Sunday afternoon. For 3 days advance notice, the package was still way expensive, but cost less than only 1 ticket on some airlines.
Despite the grim news we received only 3 days ago, we cannot deny that we have been blessed through this process. Things have just fallen into place so quickly!! Miracles are already taking place. We love you all and really appreciate the words of encouragement we've received to keep us going.
Love Always,
Charmaine, Brad, and kids
(Click on the Baby News label to read more posts on this journey)
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Baby Update
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I hope everything goes well in Texas. It sounds like you are truly blessed.
Charmaine, I can not believe all the things you are going through. But girl you are blessed. Let me know if you need anything I will be happy to help. We miss you at work, but I am glad that you are home now, taking care of your crew and the twins. Jessy
Wow! This is an incredible shocker! I was not expecting this. I am thinking of you and praying for you. Let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you. Love you tons!
I love you Char and am praying for you. If you need any help (dinners, babysitting, cleaning, anything) I am home all day, everyday!
Char I so sorry that you are going through this I will be praying for you!!
Post a Comment