Friday, August 8, 2008

Successful Surgery

We are finally back at the Ronald McDonald House resting since the surgery. Yesterday morning, we took a cab to St. Luke's Hospital. After initial paperwork was done, I was brought to get prepped for the O.R. After 2 attempts to try and get an IV started by one nurse, the third time was a charm by a different one. Not fun!! I also had an ultrasound to make sure hearts were beating and an orientation on how the procedure would take place. At 9:30, I was rolled into the O.R. and getting relaxed from the "fun medicine" I was given. They placed a drape just past my neck and I dozed off into La-La land. I was mildly coherent enough to be able to hold my breath, or take shallow breaths during the surgery when needed. I was tilted to my right side and the incision and scope was on my left. The laser was inserted and with the guidance of a team consisting of 3 doctors, 2 anesthesiologists, 2 ultrasound technicians and 2 nurses things came out successfully.
Apparently I missed some laughs in the surgery while in my slumber. Baby Ammon, the recipient, was quite active during the procedure. While the doctors were zoned into the monitor, intensely looking for blood vessels a big toe, popped into their screen and quickly disappeared. It made their hearts skip a beat and everyone was just laughing. There was also an instrument inserted into my belly the size of a straw to guide the scope down through the placenta. Ammon seemed quite intrigued by it since he tugged on it with his hand. Later he caught it between his toe! I guess he was trying to be a jokester since the doctors were in his territory.
After the laser portion was done, they sloooowly extracted 1.7 liters of amniotic fluid. I didn't think that was very much until they compared it to a 2 liter bottle of soda. My belly size has decreased and luckily I don't have to go to the restroom as often anymore. Just a glimpse of what's to come in the next few weeks though as the boys grow bigger.
I was in recovery for about 4 hours until I was able to get a private room in Labor and Delivery. I thought I would be able to sleep well that night, but interruptions with the nurses to check my vitals and needing to use the restroom due to lots of fluids from the IV prevented that.
The next morning I was discharged and then taken to the Baylor Clinic for the 24 hour milestone. Everything looked really good and they were able to see 2 healthy hearts beating. The next milestone will be in 7 days. Hopefully we'll be able to see the amniotic fluid balanced out between the two sacs and that the babies will adjust well to the changes.
I will be having weekly ultrasounds with my specialist to keep a close eye on things. Then at 30 weeks I'll be able to go every 2 weeks until delivery.

Here are some shots of the babies while surgery was being peformed. Technology is so amazing!


Ammon's Foot

Ethan's Foot

Ammon's Hand

7 comments:

Britny and Jeffers said...

Char,

I'm sooo glad everything went so well!!!! :) You are so blessed! It sounds like you have got some pretty funny babies! I love to hear that he was so active during your surgery! The pics are awesome! Isn't nit so cool that you are able to see your babies feet and hands before they are even born!?! Its truely amazing!! If you need anything please let me know! :)

Love, Brit

Ashley said...

That is so awesome! I am glad to hear that the surgery went well and you are doing good. I think some prayers have been answered. Love ya

Jessy and Kurt Antonino!!!! said...

Char, You are a trooper and your babies are too.

Love,
Jessy

zippy said...

All that keeps going through my mind is..."amazing, absolutely amazing!!" What a blessing, what a miracle!!!

Congrats on a successful surgery, healthy mom, and healthy babies! Hope all continues to go well.

Amz said...

What an amazing day and age we live in! What a miracle. I am so glad things have gone well with the first stage. You are constantly in our thoughts and prayers.

crush said...

Chard, that is amazing! We've been out of town and I've been dying to hear about how things went for you! I am so glad to hear that things went well. Please keep us updated and we'll keep your little family in our prayers!

The Mathews Family said...

That is great to hear Char. I am so amazed at those pics - what cute little feet & hands :) Love the names too!!